Dec 19, 2010

It is Twice Blest

Now like the moon among a crowd of stars
or a naiad from water set upon by lilies
I'll have you rise from sleep, for the night adores
the flowering of all brighter presences,
imagines flames from any subtle spark
that burns in deepest cold. Should you awake
and light a cigarette at the foot of the bed,
let Fancy fashion how the wisps of smoke
might wind like ribbons around your lovely head.

Give me but leave to wonder, in my night,
how you pass yours. I will not have your hands
folded like unblown roses, out of light,
but in full flower, bewildering as wands;
and in the darkness should you think how sweet
is love and pity my cracked and foolish heart,
then, far from you, feeling a little peace,
it may well come to mend and gentlier beat
while I tell myself you are not merciless.