Dec 29, 2010

A Desert Vision

I lay down on a sandy hill
and this was something that I saw:
a young man came to work His will
and moved a people into awe.

He mastered an astounding range
of clever tricks and sleight of hand;
a thing to something else He'd change;
He spoke, but few could understand.

And there was something in His face,
a hint beneath that smooth aplomb,
of something other than the grace
that made the wind and waters calm.

And then some thought of subterfuge,
or some conniving trickery:
Him part and parcel of a huge
and sinister conspiracy.

And so they took Him to a hill
and bled Him from his hands and feet,
but people talk about Him still
and hawk His magic in the street.



 - I wrote this when I was calling myself an atheist. Interesting that now, when I am calling myself a Christian, a follower of Christ, that I made scant edits: to capitalize the pronouns referring to my Lord, to italicize the word 'some', meaning not all, to capitalize 'Grace', and to make a few grammatical changes, which may or may not be correct. This paragraph, and the aforementioned edits inside the poem, was added on 11.15.13, @ 4:19 PM.